Customer case: UPM Communication Papers
A long-term partnership to maximise the benefits of energy optimisation
Evolving electricity market and regulations urge continuous energy optimisation
UPM Communication Papers is the world's leading producer of graphic papers, offering an extensive product range for advertising and publishing as well as home and office uses. It operates in a competitive international market where optimal use of resources is critical for success.
Paper manufacturing consumes high amounts of electricity, so energy optimisation can significantly impact the company’s financial performance. UPM Communication Papers identified the importance of energy management already years ago, putting efforts into optimally running their energy operations.
However, as the electricity market and the regulations are constantly changing, UPM Communication Papers acknowledges that optimising their energy management is no one-off project. Thus, they have had a long-term partnership with UPM Energy to help them continuously manage their energy operations and optimise their energy costs.
Initial results of energy optimisation made the team hungry for more
When energy optimisation started gaining attraction at UPM Communication Papers, there were some internal concerns and resistance. There were also worries about how the energy optimisation activities could disturb their operations. These concerns were openly discussed and thoroughly solved, resulting in no disturbance in their operations.
Once the organisation started seeing the real financial value, they got hungry for more improvements and results. The promising first results led to further resource allocation to energy matters and even closer collaboration; determined long-term development and implementation plans. Today, the energy process is on a benchmark of the industry level. No market events are missed and there is full support that the whole energy process is efficient and optimized. This enables UPM Communication Papers to save as much as possible and create as much profits as possible 24/7; 365 days in a year.
“We have developed a strong partnership, where our team from UPM Energy works as an integral part of UPM Communication Papers’ energy team. This way, we work in an aligned and efficient way. The client is always in the driver’s seat, setting the objectives and priorities. We bring our energy optimisation and market expertise in by proactively proposing continuous improvements and best practices. This has proven to be an excellent way of achieving good results”. -Ristomatti Lummikko, Client Manager, UPM Energy
Peace of mind with energy operations and significant impact on profitability
As a result, UPM Communication Papers has streamlined their energy processes and optimised their energy costs. The close collaboration has improved their energy management on multiple levels:
- Enhanced consumption forecasts
- Smooth maintenance and updates of the energy management system
- Interpreting how the coming changes in the energy markets and regulations will affect the business and helping to prepare corresponding actions on a practical level
- Minimised energy costs and continuous revenue from energy trading
- Better optimisation of their production
- Deep knowledge of the energy management system, its development and trainings together with the customer
- The development of the reporting and monitoring tools
- Regular training to the factory personnel
- Overall support on energy topics and strategies so that UPM Communication Papers energy team can allocate their time on their core business
- With an experienced energy optimisation partner supporting them, UPM
- Communication Papers has peace of mind that their energy operations run smoothly. Having an external energy partner allows them to identify improvement areas and new opportunities caused by the market and regulation changes.
“Having a partner who helps us optimise our energy use in the increasingly complex energy markets has allowed us to focus on our core business. This partnership has enabled us to lower our energy costs and generate revenue from energy trading. It has had a significant positive impact on our profitability.” -Petri Hyyryläinen, Director, Energy Finland, UPM Communication Papers.
UPM Communication Papers
UPM Communication Papers is the world's leading producer of graphic papers, offering an extensive product range for advertising and publishing as well as home and office uses. The high performing papers and service concepts of UPM add value to our customers' businesses, while actively fulfilling demanding environmental and social responsibility criteria. With headquarters in Germany, UPM Communication Papers employs approximately 7,700 people.